- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1-inch piece dried kombu, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped scallions or onion
- 1 ½ cups lentils, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- Enough water to cover everything by one inch
- 1 ¼ cups chopped zucchini
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Redmond sea salt
- Optional: Cracked black pepper, drizzle of olive oil when
- In a large soup pot, place the carrots. Mince the kombu and add that as well. Add the squash, bay leaves, basil, oregano, celery and scallions. Drain the lentils. Top the vegetables with the rinsed lentils. Add enough water to cover everything by one inch of water.
- Bring to a boil on high heat. Lower to simmer on low heat, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes. Make sure the lentils are very soft. You can partly blend the soup with an immersion blender. Add the zucchini, apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Cover and cook another 10 minutes. Serve hot.