Make a big batch of creamy plant-based brown rice porridge to start every morning with healthy whole grains.
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Small handful of walnuts, chopped
- Make the Apple-Pear Compote. Place the chopped apple and pear in a small pot with a pinch of sea salt. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower to a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the brown rice porridge. In a separate small saucepan, bring the brown rice and water to a boil over medium-high heat, covered. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or so, tilting the lid to avoid boiling over.
- When the rice is finished, use a potato masher to partly mash the rice and transfer to a bowl. Top with your desired amount of apple-pear compote and walnuts, adding extra maple syrup if you wish.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for meal prep.