- 1/2 cup sliced red radishes
- 2 cups sliced cucumber
- Two carrots, thinly sliced
- One big carrot piece cut to the width of your jar to fit snugly inside (this will push all of the vegetables down under the brine to make sure they are submerged)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup ume plum vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- Place all vegetables except the big carrot pieces in the jar.
- In a glass bowl mix together all of the brine ingredients.
- Pour the brine over the vegetables. Place the thick carrot piece sideways on top of the vegetables so that it is snuggly against the sides of the jar pressing while down on the vegetables to keep them submerged in the brine.
- Cut a piece of cotton cheesecloth and secure it over the mouth of the jar with a rubber band
- Allow the pickles to sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Remove the cheesecloth and cover the jar with a lid. Store in the refrigerator, only removing a tablespoon at a time or however much you want to eat with your meal. The pickles will keep for a month or so.
Equipment: 1 quart glass canning jar and Cheesecloth