- 2 6-inch pieces of kombu seaweed
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 – 2 teaspoons dried astragalus root
- 3 cloves garlic
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 onion (red or yellow), chopped into 4 pieces
- 1 burdock root, cut into a few pieces
- 4 small carrots, chopped in half
- 3 stalks celery, chopped in half
- 1 bunch parsley
- Optional: fresh ginger (about 3 inches)
- Sea salt
- Water to cover everything
- In a large soup pot, place all ingredients.
- Add enough water to cover everything. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Lower heat to simmer for one hour, covered. Strain the broth through a strainer. Use in soups, cooking rice or as a warm drink on its own!