The kids are home for the summer. Now there’s only one question: How do I keep them occupied?
And what are some low-tech ideas, instead of TV or iPad time? Kids absorb 10 times the amount of radiation that adults do, so I’m a big fan of old school activities.
This is why I recently shot a 6 1/2 minute video with Anya. We share some of our favorite summer activities, including baking an apple pie together!
Enjoy the video and below is the recipe for the apple pie we make.
Kick back and have some fun with the kids and bake Anya’s Gluten Free Apple Pie. A delicious, gluten-free version of traditional apple pie. This is so fun to make with your kids!Print
- 2 cups gluten free flour*
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil (liquid or softened)
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4–5 fuji apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. (up to 1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot flour (use 3 Tbsp. if using 1/4 cup maple syrup)
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
My latest gluten free flour blend:
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Separately, in a bowl, mix together the oils. Then mix together the water and apple cider vinegar and combine it with the oils. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by combining the peeled and sliced apples with the maple syrup, arrowroot flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Divide the chilled dough into 2 balls. Roll each one out into a circle between two sheets of parchment paper. Place one on the bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch pie plate (or use a smaller one and keep the leftover dough). Add the apple filling. Cover with remaining circle of dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes (up to 1 hour) or until the apples are fork tender and the crust is nice and golden.
- We like to serve this warm, a la mode, with vanilla coconut ice cream. So Delicious makes a nice one.