- 3 cups cooked lentils, drained* (use canned or follow directions below to make using dried lentils)
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup gluten-free baking mix or all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons no-sugar apple butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place the cooked lentils in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Place the flaxseed meal in a small bowl. Add the ⅓ cup of water and stir well. Let this mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of the sea salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes, stirring. Add the carrots and celery. Add the thyme, poultry seasoning, onion and black pepper. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. F.
- To the cooked lentils, add the remaining sea salt, sauteed vegetables, rolled oats and baking mix. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, stir together the no-sugar apple butter, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. If you want more topping you can double these quantities.
- Lightly oil a large glass loaf pan. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. Top with a thin layer of barbecue sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until the loaf is firm and set. (It will firm up more as it cools.) Slice and serve while still warm, with vegan gravy.
To Cook the Lentils From Scratch Using Dried Lentils:
- 1 ½ cups uncooked green or brown lentils
- Optional: 1 1/2-inch size piece kombu sea vegetable
- 3 ¾ cups water
- Rinse the lentils in a strainer.
- Place the rinsed lentils in a medium saucepan. If you are using the kombu, place it in a small bowl with cold water to cover it. Soak it for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add the 3 ¾ cups of water and the drained kombu to the lentils. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to simmer on low, covered, for 40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Keep an eye on the liquid amount while the lentils are cooking. If the lentils get dry add a small amount of extra water. Drain off any excess liquid that remains at the end.