Quinoa with Kale Stem Pesto is a protein-packed recipe for a healthy plant-based meal that helps reduce food waste while keeping you full and satisfied.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I prefer Ancient Harvest brand)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Sea salt
- 3 kale stems, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions (white only), chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place the quinoa, water or broth and a pinch of salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa should be nice and fluffy.
- Place the kale stems in a pot with about an inch of water. Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until tender. When finished, drain and set aside.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a small pot and almost cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to simmer on medium for 10 to 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain and set aside.
- Make the pesto: In a food processor, combine the scallions, basil, 1 tablespoon pine nuts, olive oil, cooked kale stems and a pinch of sea salt. Blend until you reach your desired consistency, either slightly chunky or totally smooth.
- In a large bowl, place the cooked quinoa, remaining 2 tablespoons of pine nuts, sweet potato, and pesto. Mix together and serve.
Keywords: kale stem pesto, quinoa