- ⅓ cup of distilled water
- ¼ cup of witch hazel
- 30 drops of your preferred essential oil (tick-repelling essential oils: lemongrass, peppermint, geranium, and cedarwood)
- Take a glass jar (label it so that it’s not used for food or drinks) and add ⅓ cup of distilled water. Next, add ¼ cup of witch hazel.
- Add 30 drops of your preferred essential oil (if you’re using two, add 15 drops of each essential oil, and ten drops of each oil if you’re using three).
- Screw on the lid tightly and shake the jar vigorously. Transfer the contents of the jar to a spray bottle, and you’re good to go!
- Repellent spray tip: The key to adequate protection is to reapply frequently. As soon as the scent wears off from the spray so has the effectiveness, so it’s important to keep reapplying. Every one to two hours is recommended.
- Note: You can tweak this recipe to fit your own bug-repelling needs.