- 16 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or sesame oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces finely chopped button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ⅓ cups crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium high heat. Add the green beans. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a colander to cool and drain. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegan butter. Once the butter has melted add the onion and garlic. Add a pinch of the sea salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and a few more pinches of sea salt. Cover and let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir it around for a few minutes. Gradually add the vegetable stock, whisking to prevent lumps. Slowly stir in the almond milk with a whisk. Reduce the heat to low and cook, lightly covered, for 5 minutes, or until it thickens up. Add ⅓ cup of the fried onions.
- In a lightly oiled 2-liter glass casserole, spread the pre-cooked green beans in an even layer. Add the sauce to cover the green beans. Top with the remaining fried onions. Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot.