- 16 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or sesame oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces finely chopped button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ⅓ cups crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium high heat. Add the green beans. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a colander to cool and drain. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegan butter. Once the butter has melted add the onion and garlic. Add a pinch of the sea salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and a few more pinches of sea salt. Cover and let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir it around for a few minutes. Gradually add the vegetable stock, whisking to prevent lumps. Slowly stir in the almond milk with a whisk. Reduce the heat to low and cook, lightly covered, for 5 minutes, or until it thickens up. Add ⅓ cup of the fried onions.
- In a lightly oiled 2-liter glass casserole, spread the pre-cooked green beans in an even layer. Add the sauce to cover the green beans. Top with the remaining fried onions. Bake for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!